Oct 26, 2008

at the Naz Foundation...

I begin this post with great happiness and joy. I do not wish to bring in any sign of gloom or despair as there isn’t any actually. In fact I have never been so happy with life before. And maybe that is the reason which is forcing me to write tonight.

It will take me hard to forget their faces. Not so bright, not at all rosy, or glowing but there was happiness which I saw. Unconditional happiness! The little kids were somehow aware that they won’t have to strain their lungs for long. They knew they were not wanted. Being afflicted with AIDS, they knew they had very little potential. Yet they chose to be happy. I say that with conviction because such blissful expressions cannot be faked. They were children with an innate knowledge that the little life they have is too short for grief. And that is why amazingly I did not see them cry or fight in those 2 hours I spent with them. it seemed that the virtue of cooperation and team work was inbred in them. And all the team efforts led to a single goal, of celebrating the moment!

After meeting the kids, I am humbled down. I find myself very fortunate. I’ll be indebted to Tushar Kaudinya, who helped me open my eyes to reality. There is suffering, true. Brahma created it, Budha defined it, Gandhi fought it and we live it. I wonder how I in those sick children couldn’t find any pain. All they wanted was love. Yet they never asked for it. It was only natural on our part to transcend it to them.

6 comments:

Bhulbhaal said...

This is one of the most beautiful pieces of writing I have ever come across in a long time.

udit joshi said...

thank you. i'm glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

beautiful motley of your inner persona blended with the choicest of words...I loved to read about this gesture of yours...Kindly take me along on your next visit!

Unknown said...

touching...im cursing myslf rite now for missing dis trip wid u ppl...quite moved 2 read dis...nd reading ur entire blog is such a beautiful experience udit...despite of u pushin me 2 read it i neva made an effort 2 actually open it up..dese few minutes of reading iv felt a bundle of emotions...from a smile readin bout ur parents 2 a silent tear thinkn bout these kids...from a patriotic feeling readin 'saddi dilli' to a deep thought on 'omnipresent yet unseen'...a hearty laugh on ur poetic fight wid tush 2 actually understandin nd believing ur point in 'enough is enough'(i thnk il soon b endorsin dis thought..it actually makes sense..plus its quite painful..fr us atleast..haaa)...from actually grieving wid u readin 'my inheritance,a liability'(hair loss is painful) 2 self analysing while readin 'heroes'...in all its been quite a well rounded experience fr me...im quite inspired nd happy 2 hv finally read this...very proud of u my friend...keep d gud work going...long live ur pen....love.

udit joshi said...

thank you Sparshi. Your Comments are very encouraging. They give the required kick an amateur writer is in need of. I am elated that you liked it.
thank you.

varsha said...

my love is with these children! lovely flow of language and amazing choice of words! i love it!